Expand Your Musical Universe
By Kristin, age 14, California
Music is something that my friends and I usually disagree on. While they listen to the hip hop Top 20, I detest it all. They tease me for listening to John Mayer, Feist, and Kate Nash, but even so, occasionally I sneak in something great, and they almost always love it!
Music is a sanctuary to me, something so very versatile that any moment it can make me cry, smile, laugh, or anything, and when I listen to something I really love, it's like a magical experience, 3 or 4 minutes of a lovely thing that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. That is a magical experience. And since I see you are all sooo interested, I'll give a quick list of my overall favorites.
10. There's Always Someone Cooler Than You (Ben Folds)
9. The Way I Am (Ingrid Michaelson)
8. Icky Thump (The White Stripes)
7. Everything's Just Wonderful (Lily Allen)
6. Silver Lining (Rilo Kiley)
5. Good Love is on the Way (John Mayer)
4. Fairytale (Sara Bareilles)
3. 1234 (Feist)
2. Foundations (Kate Nash)
1. With a Little Help from My Friends (Jim Sturgess and Joe Anderson, originally by The Beatles)
All of the music listed above is available on iTunes.
How I see it is that no matter what kind of music we like, for so many of us, music is a value that we can share, talk about, or even take to the mic ourselves. I'd like to challenge you to a little test - one I'm gonna take myself. I'm gonna listen to a new song every day for a month, and see if I can expand my views on music. Come on, I dare ya!