By Shanice, age 15, South Africa
Your bedroom is the one place that is yours. You sleep in it, entertain friends, and if you're like me, eat the occasional pizza or two in it.
It's your sanctuary, so shouldn't it reflect your personality?
Here are a few tips on bedroom decor:
First of all, make sure that you have your parents' permission. You don't want to get started on your awesome bedroom only to have them stop you halfway.
Make sure you know what you want to do with your room and how much it will cost. Draw up a budget beforehand so you know how much you are allowed to spend. Sometimes all you need is a fresh coat of paint and a new bed cover.
3. The Pre-Decor
Use the opportunity of redoing your room as a chance to clean and throw out all those old clothes and stuffed toys that you don't want.
Clear out as much as your room as possible or as needed to make room for new furniture, if you're buying new furniture, of course.
4. The Actual Decor
- Paint your walls! Pick a colour that you like and reflects your personality.
- Look for new furniture and bed covers. Look around to find the best prices. Don't overrule flea markets. Their stuff can be pretty good and cheap.
- Try to make sure that the furniture matches the paint.
- Accessorise. Make your bedroom look cool. Get some colourful rugs, storage bins, etc.
5. Some Last Minute Suggestions
- You can pile several pillows on your bed for a girly look. It also comes in handy when you're watching television.
- If you do homework or study in your bedroom, a desk and lamp would be a good idea.
- Light colours make a room look bigger and dark colours make it look smaller. However, dark colours also give a sophisticated look to a room.
And that's it. You now have a completely renovated room. And you did it all by yourself. Feels good, doesn't it?